Are You Effectively Using Hashtags?
The power of the hashtag on Instagram is still alive and well. People assume that with the algorithm changing every other day now, that they are no longer effective, or even necessary. I would disagree.
You can still use up to 30 hashtags on Instagram. There are so many apps to find the most used hashtags in YOUR specific niche. ‘Hashtagged’ and ‘Hashtag’ – to name a few. Just type in hashtag in the app store and see what pops up. My suggestion is use ALL 30. Post a picture using hashtags one day, and than post a picture without them. You will be surprised at how much more engagement and impressions your photo using the hashtags received than your one without. If you find some of your hashtags are performing better than others, don’t be afraid to switch them up.
A few easy hashtag tips to get the most out of them:
- If you don’t want to ruin your caption with a bulky section of blue hashtags, post them in the first comment UNDER your photo. They still work just as well.
- Once you find the best hashtags; best meaning the ones that produce the best results AND most used in your niche; copy and paste them into your notes so they are super easy to get to when you make a post.
- Click on one of your hashtags you use and start scrolling down the pics posted using them and like and comment! Be active with hashtags and find popular Instagrammers using the same ones.
- Instagram now even has a feature where you can put hashtags in your profile’s bio. I suggest putting a few so Instagram’s algorithm can categorize your page correctly.
- When you start typing a hashtag somewhere, a few suggestions will pop up – pick the ones that are being used the MOST.
- Make sure they are relevant to YOUR page’s theme. Don’t stray even if your picture goes off topic. If your page is about dogs, use dog hashtags. If your page is a fitness page, use fitness hashtags.
They have these features for a reason! Take full advantage of them. If you have not been using hashtags, START!